by Ned Schroeder

Coquitlam, BC–

In a rematch of last season’s loss to the Gleneagles Talons boys rugby team, the PITS Rugby team traveled to Coquitlam, British Columbia (just outside Vancouver), for the second stop on their Canadian tour.  It was a friendly reunion between the two teams because the PITS’ families hosted the Talons for a couple of days on the Canadians 2014 tour, but all pleasantries were postponed when the whistle sounded to start the game.

The two teams were evenly matched, but the first 15 minutes of the game were played in the Talons’ side of the field.  Sophomore Bill Whiteside showed a considerable amount of improvement from his rookie season.  Flyhalf Fiachra Collins fed the ball to Whiteside several times but the PITS ruggers could not punch it through the Talons defense.

But midway through the first half, Whiteside injured his shoulder on another massive run, and with him out, the Talons found some answers to the PITS defense.  PITS No. 8, Everett Ellis was called for a high tackle, and the Gleneagles scored off this penalty with a quick tap.  With the conversion, the visiting team was down 7-0.

In response, the boys from Piedmont began rucking again.  After several phases of play, Captain Mason Willrich took the ball in for the score.  Joe Cumbelich made the conversion.  Game tied.

The PITS forwards found a rhythm and discovered their earlier success in rucking and finding weak points in the Talons defense.  So not to be outdone by his co-captain, Liam Schindler scored off a short one meter pick and go.  Scrumhalf Joe Cumbelich made his second conversion.  PITS was now ahead for the first time, but it would not be a lead for long.

Before the half, the Gleneagles boys would benefit from a questionable offsides call.  Off the penalty, the Talons scored, but they would not convert for the extra points.  PITS was still ahead, 14-12, but just barely.

After the intermission, the Talons scored and converted to go ahead 14-19.  The two teams settled into a back and forth affair with neither team getting the better of the other.  After several phases, Gleneagles scored again and the PITS boys were looking at a long road to get back into the game, but the one silver lining was the missed conversion.  The score was now 14-24.

With time winding down, PITS No. 8, Everett Ellis scored  off a nice run.  Joe Cumbelich again converted to bring the score to 21-24. After being down for nearly 15 minutes, these PITS boys discovered their attack, and wing Philip Kim made a nifty run to get within the Talons’ red zone.  Freshman Gavin Hill  took the ball and scored with time running out.  Joe Cumbelich missed the extra points, but it didn’t matter, the score had the PITS boys on top, 26-24.

The game wasn’t over yet, as the Gleneagles boys did not want this loss on their home field.  The final minutes were fierce, but eventually time ran out for the hosts.  Front Row forward, Hunter Abel, was a standout, and received special recognition for his play from the Gleneagle’s head coach, but as it turned out, Cumbelich’s foot saved the day, making just enough conversions for the Piedmonters to stay ahead of the Canadian hosts.  the PITS return to Northern California and play Alameda on Saturday, February 28.